The term ‘Mother’ is synonymous with care, love and all good things on the earth. However, smoking mothers can be inadvertently killing their children – born and unborn. Shocked? It is true. Smoking mothers are gifting their children with lung cancer and many other similarly dangerous diseases through second-hand smoke. Pregnant women harm their own unborn babies directly in the womb. This article explains How much Is it dangerous Smoking during Pregnancy to You & Your Baby.
Besides the above facts, here are more unsettling reasons to bear in mind when smoking. It will not only interfere with your health, but it will also interfere with the health of your unborn baby:
Consequences of Smoking during Pregnancy
1. First of all, smoking makes it difficult to conceive. Reports show that fertility in both men and women are greatly affected by smoking. In women, smoking interferes with the movement of egg toward the fallopian tubes as well as the hormones which are produced during pregnancy; while in men, it decreases the semen count and the motility of the sperm. In many cases, smoking also alters the shape of the sperm making it incapable of penetrating the egg.
2. Children born of smoking parents potentially inherit low fertility syndrome and suffer from a large number of infertility problems.
3. Smoking in many cases is the chief cause for impotency in men as it interferes with the blood supply to the penis.
4. The baby in the womb of a pregnant smoking mother gets its nicotine (a chemical substance present in smoke ) addiction right from pre-birth as its blood imbibes the nicotine that the mother’s blood shares with it; thus it is more likely that when born they would become a smoker – and also inherit all smoking-related diseases.
5. In rare cases, the placenta is also directly affected by smoking causing a miscarriage of the foetus, or death of foetus in the womb.
6. The babies of smoking mothers will be most likely to be born premature and underweight.
7. Babies are also likely to have less developed vital organs than the babies of non-smoking mothers – there is a great chance that these babies have an undeveloped liver which will affect them throughout their lives.
8. The babies of pregnant smoking women have poor lung functions & capacity right from birth.
9. These babies are twice as prone to die from sudden-infant-death (SID) syndrome than the babies of the non-smoking mothers.
10. The babies of those pregnant women who smoked 15-20 cigarettes a day are more likely to be sickly.
Anyone of the above causes should be ample enough to make you quit smoking – if not for yourself, for your little baby that is being formed in your womb. Read the above facts again, and then once more – is that what you as a mother want to give to your most precious creation? Would you really be comfortable thinking that you are voluntarily and consistently harming your baby even before they’re born? These are some questions that you should consider seriously.
Get in touch with your doctor today and asked him/her help to quitting smoking. You owe it to your child to be healthy and give them a sound beginning to the start of their life. As a mother, you are the nurturing contact of the baby– do not become the poison in your own child’s life.
You can also read,